Wednesday 27 June 2018

I am a failed TV snob. Watching Dear White People and Nanette.


I am a TV snob. Not as in snobby about what I watch on TV, as in so snobby, I just won’t watch TV. I don’t have one, and I can’t remember the last time I went to the cinema.

Despite this snobbishness, this month I have been overwhelmed by not one, but two things on TV. Spurred on by cold weather, shoulder surgery and the increasing difficulty in downloading stuff from the internet, I signed up to a free month of Netflix. I’m a little embarrassed about that. Not only am I admitting to watching TV, I signed up to an online streaming service. But, having put aside my shame, I discovered Dear White People and learnt that I can binge TV watch just as well as I can binge read. You know when you really should go to bed, but you just can’t put the book down? As a child, did you find yourself reading under the covers with a torch after you were supposed to be asleep? (Hi Mum! I’m sure you knew I did that. I doubt I really got away with anything I thought I’d gotten away with in my childhood).   This was me with Dear White People. Netflix just continues on with the next episode without even going through the credits, so before I had even had time to guiltily reflect on if I should really go to bed, the next episode had started and I was hooked. 2 entire series in 4 days. Not bad for a TV denialist.

What was so captivating about it? Well, everything. It’s clever, political, funny, moving, quirky, queer and sexy. Each episode shows a different perspective on the events, whilst also developing the story a little further. So it grows and grabs you in multiple directions. It explores the diversity of experiences, responses and behaviour of the students, refusing the idea that there is one black experience. And they are beautiful. Stunningly beautiful people. Do people that beautiful really exist? I’m sure I haven’t met any. Am I fetishizing black people? Actually, Gabrielle was hot too.  Go watch it. Just make sure you’ve got some time to get caught up in it.

Then there was Hannah Gadsby’s Nanette. Holy fuck. How does anyone write something like this? How do you rehearse it? How do you perform it, again and again and again? It’s incredibly personal, and incredibly brave. Plus it’s funny, clever, political, heartbreaking and repeatedly side swipes you out of the blue. Just watch it. A thousand other people have probably told you that already.

Of course, the world being as it is, somehow there are angry men (and the odd woman also strangely angry on behalf of the straight men)  still commenting on her performance as sexist, manhating, not funny etc etc.  For example, some of the comments of this review https://dailyreview.com.au/nanette-review-hannah-gadsbys-brilliant-netflix-special-going-set-fire-internet/75701/.  What is so hard about just listening? She is telling stories of her experience. Her feelings. Her pain. And whilst she is doing so, she is pointing the stick of her humour firmly at straight men. Then contextualising it in how straight men have been telling women to put up with their behaviour by “lightening up”, “it’s just a joke” for years. They never see the problem in their behaviour; it was women’s response to it.  The stick is in the other hand in this performance. She is not using it to perpetuate entrenched oppression. She is using it to reveal another tool of that oppression. To the men who can hear her through the challenge of that medium, congratulations. To those who can’t, well, my expectations of you were low enough already. Thanks for confirming them.

No comments:

Post a Comment