Monday 11 August 2014

It's easy rousing #womenagainstfeminism

I mean really, there's actually nothing radical about getting narky about feminism. It's been a popular past time for, well, more than a century. And there's nothing new in what #womenagainstfeminism are saying. I just seem to have heard it all before somewhere. It's all a bit dull though, hearing again, we are all man hating, sex hating and ugly.  Do they notice in the same lines the criticise feminist for tarring all men with the same brush, they, um, do the same thing to feminists? We have hairy legs and think men are dirty. Hang on, dirty? That's a new one. I must have missed that though. Which feminist theory espoused that one? I'll have to check with @SenatorAbetz. Still, I guess some men are dirty. At least some of the time. So am I in fact. I was goddamn grotty camping all last week. And I do have hairy legs. I think they look pretty good actually, my hairy legs. Is it feminist to think my hairy legs are spunky? I think I'll set up a sexualised photo of my legs with a few clichés on it:   I need feminism because otherwise I wouldn't have an excuse to post raunchy selfies of my hairy legs.

Back on topic, I'm saying it's easy because it's a well trodden line, to put down feminists. We're not seing #womenagainstcapitalism or #womenagainstchristianity or #womenagainstneoliberalism, all of which have in varying ways tried to control women, the poor, homosexuals, differing races and cultures just to name a few. Quite a lot more than feminism ever has done.  Why not #womenagainstanteaters? I don't need anteaters because I choose to walk on two legs, eat mango and don't need to oppress those poor insects.

Taking a stand against these things goes against the status quo. OK, maybe not the anteaters. Taking a stand against feminism, however, doesn't.  Of course, we could all jump up and say, but look I love men too. And sex. I wear pink tutus and ride unicorns. But aside from feeling like it's just pandering to these preexisting ideas yet again, it's also pointless. If anyone cared to look, they would see that there are feminists with male friends and partners all over the place. There are feminists enjoying sex and loving their bodies. There are feminists sharing responsibilities and pleasures and hardships with men as well as women.There are feminists who actually are men. Some of them might even be dirty. There are also non-feminists who don't like men or sex or sharing. Some of them have hairy legs too. And bump into the occasional dirty man. Honestly, I can't quite get over that one. All feminists must think men live in mud. All that clothing is just covering a highly cultivated layer of filth. Sorry, really, what I was trying to say is that the world is full of difference. Telling people with set ideas things that conflict with them is a great way only of talking to a brick wall.  We have been not just telling, but living in people's faces as a whole variety of feminists with different tastes, ideas, interests, ways of living and sexualities for that 100 or so years as well, and people just don't want to notice. They want to maintain the myth that we are manhating, hairy, sexually frustrated beasts trying to recuit all women to our cause and take over the world and maybe enslave those dirty men whilst we are at it.

Great. I'll get working on it. I could do with a house slave.

No comments:

Post a Comment